Taking out the "DIS"

The other day I came across this quote by Robert M. Hensel:
"I choose not to place "DIS", in my ability."
and I aslo read this one by Marlee Matlin:
"It was ability that mattered, not disability, which is a word I'm not crazy about using."
After reading these it got me to thinking about all of the kids I have come to know and love at camp. Sure, when they first come we look at their charts and find out what their disability is, but as we get to know them we learn that they are so much more than what most would think.

I remember one girl I had, she was in a wheelchair, but boy was she smart!!! She made up all of these stories and she even writes books! Crazy right? NO! I think that God has compensated that for her. I see it in every child....in a place where something does not function properly another part of the body is unbelieveably GREAT!!! This makes me think of another boy...I'm not sure what he had, but this kid could draw!!! I looked at his paper one time and there before my eyes was a cartoon character that looked exactly like the original....it was amazing.

God is so awesome and everytime I look at a child at camp I can see His majesty and His wonderful love. To these children whom the world looks on as disabled, God looks at them as ABLED!!!

I have never felt pity for any of the kids, but instead I treat them like any other child. The thing is...they are just like any other child! Smart, beautiful, loving, and strong.

I can't tell you how much my heart aches with love when I see a child at camp. Each time I try to see them through God's eyes, see them as His precious children.

From now on, I am taking the "DIS" out of disability. Join me!

Comments

Popular Posts