The Beginning of the Blog Saga

Well here it goes...my first blog post. It is just a little exciting! I'm really happy to get to share my journey on this path God has chosen for me with all of you. For this glorious beginning I want to tell you about how my journey began.

God blessed me with a wonderful ministry this past year! I have been a volunteer at a beautiful little camp specifically for special needs children since June 2009. The camp has changed my life in so many ways! One being that I now have a desire to work with kids like the ones at camp for the rest of my life! Another is that God is showing me how wonderful these children are. They are teaching me so much.

Let me go back to the very start:
While I was with my youth group on a conference trip we went to a church the Sunday we were going to head home. During the service they had a young man speak about how a camp had changed his life. This camp was for disabled children. He met an incredible wheelchair-bound camper who showed him Christ and the two have been best friends ever since. As I watched these two and saw how incredible the camper was I was touched DEEPLY. I walked away from that weekend knowing that I wanted to do something with kids like that.
My youth pastor's wife suggested a disabilities camp that was in our home state. I got the information and quickly sent in my application for a volunteer position. Unfortunately, with so many volunteers I did not get a summer week camp. I was truly bummed, but I knew that I would be able to do the weekend camps that they offer throughout the year. I went through my summer just the same as always and then in mid-August I got a voice-message from camp. "We have had a volunteer cancelation. Can you work next week?" it said. I felt excitement, fear, and happiness fill me as I listened to it. After about....ten minutes of consideration I called them back and said "YES!" It was a week away and I was more nervous than I had ever been.
I arrived the Sunday when camp started and I could barely breathe. I was doing this...all alone....I knew NO ONE! I thought I was crazy!! With all the nerves guess what they made me do first? Be on phone duty in the camp office! Fun? NO!
Finally I was able to go to the cabin I would be staying in and meet all of the campers. Never have I fallen in love with someone so quickly as I did with those eight girls.
The week went on and after a day I was over the nerves and I was singing camp songs louder than you can imagine! That week was so much fun and I will never forget it.
Looking back, I think that God made all of that happen. He wanted me there and He made it happen!
I applied for a counselor position for this next summer, but I won't know if I got the job until April. Right now I am learning patience and learning to just rest, knowing that God will do what is His Will.
So, now I am doing weekend camps and waiting to hear about this summer.

God has written the first chapter in my life-book! I can't wait to read the second!

~His Child

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts